Thursday, October 29, 2015

Analyzing Purpose

In this blog post I will address and explore the purpose of my public speech act.

I want to address the potential ulterior motives involved in politics, and specifically in the Oak Flat controversy. I think that the fact that Mccain and Flake have recieved significant campaign contributions from Rio Tinto and other mining companies really says something. I think that it degrades any accountability that they had with the people of Arizona, and any arguments that they make insinuating that they're looking out for people's interests rather than corporate interests. I think that the best way for me to express this idea to my intended audience is through a short op-ed piece in an Arizona University newspaper. This has the potential to raise awareness about Oak Flat in a demographic that is typically action-oriented and excited to get involved in things

Plausible actions/ reactions: I could see some people thinking that I'm just an angry hippy. I need to be careful not to come accross as too pissed off. If I do a good job I might be able to begin or continue the conversation for some people about campaign financing laws and their immediate effects on an Arizona issue.

Not Plausible: I don't think that my op-ed piece will spark any immediate action. It's purpose is to start a conversation and get people thinking, not necessarily to create immediate change. These issues are incredibly complicated, and no one act of public speech can create noticeable change.

Chain of likely consequences: My article could get people thinking more about campaign financing, and has the potential to impact people's stance on the issue of Oak Flat. It has the potential to spark some action at a university level. It also has the potential to get people thinking about the issue of campaign financing on a larger scale: the upcoming presidential elections.

Possible audience: I want to reach out to other university students because they're a demographic that generally cares about things and wants to be involved in action.

Webb, Michaela "Purpose: Nap Time" 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment