Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Clarity, Part 2

I read the sections on shifts, variety, appropriate language, and parallel ideas.

Parallel ideas: When ideas are parallel or of equal importance, it is best to put them in parallel grammatical form. This basically means that the grammatical structure for ideas that come in a list should be the same.

Shifts: This section is just about remaining consistent with point of view, verb tense, and mood throughout a piece so as not to confuse the reader.

Variety: It's important to vary sentence structure, and sentence openings in your writing to keep it interesting and engaging.

Appropriate Language: This section tells the writer to avoid using jargon, pretentious language, euphemisms, slang, and sexist or offensive language. It also talks about choosing an appropriate level of formality for your subject and audience.

Marius Kucklick. "Sad Dog". 2004 via Wikimedia. Creative Commons license.

Reflection: After going through my QRG, I think that I did a pretty good job with parallel ideas and staying consistent with tenses and point of view. I did work a little on varying my sentence structure more. I think that it's important to intersperse long and short sentences to keep the writing flowing well. I found a couple places where I had repetitive words and substituted them with synonyms.

No comments:

Post a Comment