Thursday, August 27, 2015

Calendar Reflection

I may have over-commited this semester. Seeing everything mapped out in a week is a little frightening! I'm going to be working about 25 hours every week, and I'm enrolled in 17 units.

AAAAHHHH

mjthomas1 Grand Canyon 8/27/2014 via Pixabay. Public Domain Dedication Licensee
On top of that I'm re-considering my current major (Environmental Science) because I realized that I'm not really passionate about my science courses. I just dropped my Chem course and added classes in Philosophy, History, and Global Studies.

That being said, I have good work ethic and I'm used to fitting more things into a block of time than can comfortably fit. I've never had any trouble getting all my work done, and in the last year I think I've gotten much better at relaxing through stressful times.

My motto for last semester after tearing my hamstring, breaking my kneecap, filling the diesel work truck tank with gasoline, and getting sick more than usual was: "Shit'll buff out."
It's basically a way of reminding myself that everything usually works out in the end. It also helps me bring some humor to stressful situations and put my own little problems in perspective.

I think I'm going to have to keep it going through this semester.

Reflection:
I read Bailey's and Olivia's  calendar posts. It is helpful to see that other people have a lot going on as well. I can't over emphasize how important balance is. I know that I will do poorly in school if I don't get enough sleep, eat healthily, take time for the people I love, or exercise enough. This is a theme that I also saw in Olivia's post.

2 comments:

  1. 17 credit hours and a job?? That sounds really busy. I barely have enough time to do all of my homework, and I'm not doing anything extra, like a job or a sport. I'm also an Environmental Science major! I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting into your science classes; so far I've really liked mine. Definitely don't be afraid to change your major, though. If you're in classes that you enjoy, sometimes the homework goes quicker, and doesn't feel like so much work as classes that you don't find as interesting. Also, even though having a job will take up a lot of time, it might not be as bad as it initially seems. It's important to have time not doing academic work, and often a job can provide that in a structured and productive way. Best of luck in figuring everything out! I hope things will settle down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I admire your ambition! I'm overwhelmed by the homework without having a job and having 15 credits, so what you are doing is incredible to me. I am a Biology major and I am also a little worried by my lack of interest in Chem, and my fascination with linguistics, but I look forward to animal science classes, which is what I really want to do. However if you find that you are more drawn to different things definitely do it!

    ReplyDelete